10 December 2013 (ABC) – The Australian Government says it intends to honour its promise to send a Customs ship to monitor Japanese whalers.
But the Australian Environment Minister Greg Hunt says he's still working through some of the "operational issues".
"We will have clear monitoring in the Southern Ocean, and I just ask for about 10 days before I make a formal statement on that," Mr Hunt said.
It's understood the Japanese whaling fleet left at the weekend and is expected in the Southern Ocean by the end of the month
Before the election, Mr Hunt repeatedly promised to have a Customs ship in place to monitor activity.
He says he'll provide more details shortly.
"We're just working through some of the operational issues, but the commitment was clear and I stand by it," he said.
The former Australian Greens leader Bob Brown is now the chair of the anti-whaling group Sea Shepherd and says there's no time to waste.
"The decision now has to be made," he said.
"The Japanese whaling ship has left.
"They'll be in the international whale sanctuary before new year." [more]
- 60 Minutes: The Age of Mega-Fires
- Altered Oceans
- Apocadocs: Humoring the Horror of Environmental Collapse
- Calculated Risk
- Carbon Based Climate Change Adaptation
- Census of Marine life
- Climate Change: The Next Generation
- Club Orlov: Dmitry Orlov and the Collapsnik Party
- Converging Emergencies, 2010-2020
- Crisis Forums
- Dead Trees ... Dying Forests
- Deep Into Artlife West
- Discover Environmentally-Friendly Degrees and Job Options
- Ea O Ka Aina: For a self-sustaining Kauai
- Economic Undertow
- Fire Earth
- Hypoxia in the Northern Gulf of Mexico
- IUCN Red List of Endangered Species
- Information Is Beautiful
- International Programme on the State of the Oceans
- Jeremy Jackson: Brave New Ocean
- Jim Galasyn: State of the Oceans 2011 pdf
- Lend Me a Looking Glass
- Love Salem
- Marine Climate Change
- Mongabay.com: Tropical Rainforest Conservation
- NASA Earth Observatory: Image of the Day
- NASA Visible Earth
- National Weather Service Climate Prediction Center
- Nature Bats Last
- Only In It For The Gold
- Ornery Bastard
- Other Voices, Other Choices
- Planet3.0 | Beyond Sustainability
- RealClimate: Climate Science from Climate Scientists
- Wit's End
- World Catastrophe Map