By Robin Wilkey
28 August 13
(Huffington Post) – In the tidal wave of Yosemite Rim Fire photos, no image has quite captured the awe and terror of the disaster for local residents quite like this shot of smoke over downtown Groveland.
Almost as shocking as the photo itself is the source of the image: 18-year-old skateboarder Cory Stone. Stone was at work as a reservationist for Yosemite Region Resorts when he stepped outside to capture what he was seeing. Though the fire itself hasn't reached Groveland, Stone said the smoke has been almost unbearable.
"It's been pretty bad," he told The Huffington Post.
Indeed, smoke from the fire has prompted unhealthy air warnings in nearby Nevada. But though the blaze has already consumed an area larger than Chicago, firefighters had 23 percent of the fire contained by Wednesday morning--a vast improvement from the out-of-control weekend.
Still, Stone and nearby residents are prepared for the worst.
"People were evacuated five minutes up the road from us," he said. "Everyone's been on their toes."
Stone posted the photo to his Facebook page and it was quickly shared across social media.
"Thats not smoke. It's the Nothing from The NeverEnding Story, said Facebook user Sam Daw. "This is the end." [more]
Need a happy?
- 60 Minutes: The Age of Mega-Fires
- Altered Oceans
- Apocadocs: Humoring the Horror of Environmental Collapse
- Calculated Risk
- Carbon Based Climate Change Adaptation
- Census of Marine life
- Climate Change: The Next Generation
- Club Orlov: Dmitry Orlov and the Collapsnik Party
- Converging Emergencies, 2010-2020
- Crisis Forums
- Dead Trees ... Dying Forests
- Deep Into Artlife West
- Ea O Ka Aina: For a self-sustaining Kauai
- Economic Undertow
- Fire Earth
- Grist: A Beacon in the Smog
- Hypoxia in the Northern Gulf of Mexico
- IUCN Red List of Endangered Species
- Information Is Beautiful
- International Programme on the State of the Oceans
- Jeremy Jackson: Brave New Ocean
- Jim Galasyn: State of the Oceans 2011 pdf
- Lend Me a Looking Glass
- Love Salem
- Marine Climate Change
- Mess Time
- Mongabay.com: Tropical Rainforest Conservation
- NASA Earth Observatory: Image of the Day
- NASA Visible Earth
- National Weather Service Climate Prediction Center
- Nature Bats Last
- Only In It For The Gold
- Ornery Bastard
- Other Voices, Other Choices
- Planet3.0 | Beyond Sustainability
- RealClimate: Climate Science from Climate Scientists
- Shades of Green
- Wit's End
- World Catastrophe Map
- World Disaster Report