By Nicky Phillips, Science Reporter
24 March 2013
(Sydney Morning Herald) – Endangered species experts plan to save the mountain pygmy possum from becoming the continent's first climate-change victim.
A rapidly warming globe has contracted the Snowy Mountains' blanket of winter snow that serves as a possum refuge from freezing temperatures when it hibernates for six months.
''It's possible that just a couple of years of no snow could wipe out the possums left in the wild,'' says the University of NSW naturalist and paleontologist Mike Archer.
Estimates suggest there are just 2600 possums living in three distinct genetic populations throughout Kosciuszko National Park and alpine regions of Victoria.
In an attempt to save the species, Professor Archer and Linda Broome, from the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage, want to establish a breeding population away from the species' present habitat, in an environment where its ancestors once thrived.
Evidence from fossil deposits reveals the ancient relatives of the possum, including one that lived 25 million years ago, occupied vast areas of low-lying, temperate rainforest. […]
The team plans to establish a colony of possums at the Secret Creek Sanctuary near Lithgow. When they raise enough money and get government approval, the sanctuary's owner, Trevor Evans, will build a rock wall that mimics the boulder fields and keeps the temperature about 4 degrees during winter. [more]
Need a happy?
- 60 Minutes: The Age of Mega-Fires
- Altered Oceans
- Apocadocs: Humoring the Horror of Environmental Collapse
- Calculated Risk
- Carbon Based Climate Change Adaptation
- Census of Marine life
- Club Orlov: Dmitry Orlov and the Collapsnik Party
- Converging Emergencies, 2010-2020
- Crisis Forums
- Dead Trees ... Dying Forests
- Deep Into Artlife West
- Ea O Ka Aina: For a self-sustaining Kauai
- Economic Undertow
- Fire Earth
- Grist: A Beacon in the Smog
- Hypoxia in the Northern Gulf of Mexico
- Information Is Beautiful
- International Programme on the State of the Oceans
- IUCN Red List of Endangered Species
- Jeremy Jackson: Brave New Ocean
- Jim Galasyn: State of the Oceans 2011 pdf
- Lend Me a Looking Glass
- Love Salem
- Marine Climate Change
- Mess Time
- Mongabay.com: Tropical Rainforest Conservation
- NASA Earth Observatory: Image of the Day
- NASA Visible Earth
- National Weather Service Climate Prediction Center
- Nature Bats Last
- Only In It For The Gold
- Ornery Bastard
- Other Voices, Other Choices
- Planet3.0 | Beyond Sustainability
- RealClimate: Climate Science from Climate Scientists
- Shades of Green
- Wit's End
- World Catastrophe Map
- World Disaster Report